Top 10 reasons to SK8
Tired of the treadmill? Insanity driving you mad? Looking for cardio that you can enjoy? Well, its time to get your skates on.
Craig Barton, Lincoln’s top PT agrees that SK8ing is a great way to incorporate cardio into your weekly exercise routine.
“Skating is great cardio because it’s fun to do, much more exciting than walking on a treadmill or sitting on a stationary bike”
Planet on Wheels have looked into SK8ing as a source of cardio. According to the American Heart Association (AHA) roller skating is ranked among the best aerobic exercises . Roller skating is a workout that involves almost all of the body’s muscles and in particular the heart. The National Institute for Fitness and Sports claims that roller skating works most of the major muscle groups – glutes, quads (no pun intended), abdomen, calves and arms. The AHA proclaims that roller skating is equivalent to bicycling and jogging as a cardio workout.
The biggest reason why most people will stick at roller skating for longer than they can a weekly spin session or jogging group is that you really do combine the fun of music, lights and being with friends with the undeniable benefit of cardiovascular exercise.
We have taken our years of SK8ing experience and read around some research from other lovers of the sport and come up with our Top 10 benefits to skating.
- Great cardio that you can do with your friends
- Easy on your joints. If you get a kick from running, try skating and achieve the same aerobic workout minus the shock to your joints
- Excellent calorie burn. The University of Massachusetts states that a 163lb female can expect to burn around 9 calories a minute which means atleast 500 calories if you go for a full hour!
- Have fun and improve your mood! Try SK8ing with a frown – not possible, fun all the way!
- Muscle groups get a work out. The nature of skating means your arms, legs glutes and core all work really hard.
- Good for coordination. Any seasoned skater will tell you the fell over a lot in the early days. The more you practice the more balance improves, this is because your core and your legs start to work together to keep you upright. Check out some of our skaters of the night to see how people have improved over time.
- Great for endurance training. If you are training towards a goal or just want to get fitter, SK8ing is great for endurance. Our sessions last for 2 hours so there is ample opportunity to set yourself weekly goals
- Make friends – come with friends and make ones. Either way SK8ing is really sociable and that is always good for your health
- Easy on the wallet. Once you have purchased your skates you are good to go. No gyms, no memberships, no renewals. Organised events like ours are reasonably priced so you don’t need to spend a fortune to have a good night out with friends
- Cheap transport. It is a novel and exciting way of getting from A to B! SK8 to school or work
Calculate your calories from skating here:
Our next Adult SK8 is February 8th. Read more here.